Monday, April 22, 2013

Day 22: #HAWMC: Day to Day

Write about something ordinary, something simple, perhaps overlooked, that's inspiring to you that fuels your activism.

I've talked about this before (I think...it's late, I'm tired) the volunteers that have no direct connection to Hemophilia yet make it their passion; just like mine. I stand in awe of these people who have no idea, or some idea, of what a Hemophiliac and their caregivers go through and stand right along side of me and fight the good fight.

I find that super inspiring.

I remember talking to a friend some 8 years ago (before Hemophilia or Type 1 diabetes entered our world) and wanting to find an area to volunteer for and help out. We both had kids so we decided we would help our local Children's Hospital. We felt overwhelmed...where to start, what to do, to whom to help. We just knew we wanted to help kids. Then one week later  I found my passion when my middle daughter was diagnosed with diabetes. Then three years later I found another passion, and another floor of the hospital, hemophilia and then four years later with diabetes yet again.

Through my passions I have met some great people. Some who have connections to the bleeding community and some who don't have any. I sit there wondering why Hemophilia. Out of all the diseases and disorders out there...you chose Hemophilia. I am grateful and inspired by you, the unsung hero, the person who helps to help because they can. The person who doesn't have to attend meetings, help with fundraising projects, meet with local and state officials but chooses to do so, willingly!!

So, THANK YOU!! For all your hard work and dedication.

I am in awe, humbled and inspired by you!




No comments:

Post a Comment