Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 25: #HAWMC: Learning

Today I would like to share with you how to find your voice...to advocate.

I've always had a voice...it was quiet at first but then blossomed into the boisterous sound that it is.

If I had to pin point it I would say it started when my middle daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I was already pretty vocal in meeting with local law makers and telling them our story. So it seemed natural to do the same when our son was diagnosed with hemophilia.

I am one of those types of people that throw myself into helping. Especially when it comes to my kids. I want to help. I want to help others. I want to make a difference. For me, it's better than sitting around doing nothing and singing "woe is me". It makes me active. It makes me research. It makes me invested in how law makers are seeing our community and what I can do to change that. Helping is how I deal with things. Helping is how I cope.

For me, it started small. I attended an event. Then I offered my help with anything. Which led to helping on committees to plan events. Which led to being a Board Member at our local chapter. Then I started reaching out locally then statewide to members of Congress talking about hemophilia. Which then led to reaching out nationally...blogging...talking...interacting...advocating.

So how can I share with you the ancient Chinese secret (I'm dating myself with that reference!!) of finding your voice? Simple...open your mouth and say something. Anything. Educate your friends about your bleeding disorder. The more you talk about it the more people will listen and the more people will learn. Maybe speaking locally or nationally isn't your thing...that's fine but start somewhere. You don't have to be the loudest...but we need all decibels to be heard.






No comments:

Post a Comment