Friday, April 26, 2013

Day 26: Pain Free Day #HAWMC

Today's post asks what day would you have used for a pain free pass.

I don't think I could pick one particular day...I would say everyday we have to infuse our son with factor. Now, it's not such a big deal as he has gotten used to the pain of the butterfly needle and/or he has enough scar tissue built up that he doesn't feel it when we stick him. But when he was little I hated it. We went down to Children's once a week (at first) and I would have to request the IV team come to access his veins. He would scream. The older he got he would fight. He is a strong kid. I would basically have to do some WWF maneuver to subdue him in order for the IV team to stick him. Once he was stuck he was good. It was just the anxiety of the stick. He knew it was coming and couldn't do anything about it. But when your holding down your then infant son you feel like the worst parent in the world. Despite knowing that he needs his medicine and that we have to hurt him to make him better. It was a hard concept to grasp. It's gotten way better now but at first it was a rough go. 

So to answer the question...I would take away the pain of every infusion for the past 5 years. 

Captain Jackson's Hemophilia Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment