Thursday, April 9, 2015

Day 9 #HAWMC: Challenger

Today I am going to share with you a time I had to overcome a daunting challenge. Are you kidding me?! Having three kids with two different chronic illnesses is daunting everyday...some days more than others. But I'm going to go beyond that. If you have followed along since the beginning of the month you have read that I'm a runner. It sounds weird to say it but yes, by gawd...I'm a runner. I have never been so scared of anything (besides creepy crawly things) than signing up for my first half marathon. Remember, our family is competitive and I had been challenged so I HAD to do it. It's a huge commitment. You don't just wake up one morning and decide I think I'll go run a half marathon today. (I should preface that most normal NON runners don't wake up saying this!!) You must train. Even when you don't want to. You must schedule time for it just like you do for an oil change, haircut, doctor appointment or meeting. The making time for it can be a challenge all by itself. It's a sacrifice for everyone. But my family knows on Tuesdays I'm usually not home all day between work and then my evening run. They also know that on Saturday mornings (before the sun even rises) I am running and depending on how long the run is scheduled I may not be home until mid-morning. Some days that is a challenge but my hubby is supportive and does his part so that I can attend these runs. Now, the daunting challenge. There are days when I go for a run that I just hit a wall. It sucks. My cadence is off, my earphones don't fit right, my breathing is off, my to-do list is mentally taking me over and I just don't feel like running. You know...when you feel like giving up. When I hit that wall it's like a light switch flips on and I immediately think of my kids. They NEVER give up...it's not an option. They push through any challenge they have. When Jackson has a bad poke...he pushes on as he know he needs his factor dose. When he gets a bleed he knows he needs to rest it, factor it and then pushes on. I think of him sitting so still while he receives his infusion with a smile on his face, a big high five and a thank you when he is all done and I think, "I'm complaining because running is too hard?!" That's when a get a big ol' smack of reality and push myself forward...usually with tears streaming down my eyes but I push forward. If they can do it...so can I!!!

I Run...I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter...but I Run! 

No comments:

Post a Comment